General Intern (Paid)
U.S.-based (virtual due to COVID-19 pandemic, preference for Eastern Standard Time) | Summer 2021 (12-week internship, 20 to 32 hours per week)
I. About Malala Fund
Malala Fund is working toward a world where all girls can learn for 12 years and lead without fear. We advocate for resources and policy changes needed to give all girls a secondary education. The girls we serve have high goals for themselves and we have high expectations for leaders who can help them. We invest in developing country education leaders and frontline organizations the people who best understand girls in their communities in regions where most girls are missing out on secondary school. We amplify girls’ voices. Malala Fund is building a movement of young education activists who, like Malala, speak truth to power around the world.
II. Position Summary
Malala Fund's internships provide valuable support to Malala Fund in serving its mission to help all girls go to school and reach their full potential. Malala Fund interns depart the programme with strengthened practical skill sets, an expanded professional network and an enriched knowledge of the girls’ global education sector.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Malala Fund intern helps to coordinate communications with students, donors and other supporters. Other duties include research, administrative support for various departments and other special projects. This is a paid internship ($15.00/hour) based in Washington, D.C, but will be virtual due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
III. Specific responsibilties will include
- Responding to public inquiries about Malala Fund’s work.
- Helping to prepare materials for internal and external meetings and events.
- Assisting in research on potential vendors and event participants.
- Providing general support to our Programmes, Communications, Fundraising and Operations staff as needed.
In addition, every Malala Fund intern will be offered opportunities to work on specific departmental projects based on the intern’s unique interest, talents and career aspirations, as well as:
- Opportunities to attend special virtual events to observe and take notes as possible.
- Individualised resume help and mentorship
- Access to Malala Fund's e-learning portal, with over 1,000 online courses.
IV. Person specification
- Commitment to and understanding of the work of Malala Fund to facilitate girls’ access to 12 years of free, safe, quality education, and Malala Fund’s mission to empower girls through education.
- Collaborative, self-motivated and driven to meet and exceed goals.
- High ethical standards.
- Capable writer and communicator; ability to work well with a diverse group of people in a team setting and through virtual platforms.
- Adaptable, flexible, and able to quickly build understanding in new areas and projects.
- Computer literacy; familiarity with Microsoft Office/Google Suite.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Preference for EST time zone.
Malala Fund is committed to racial equity and social justice. We actively seek applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences and identities, to provide a wide range of perspectives, ideas, views and insights into the strategy, policies, culture and ambitions of Malala Fund. We would particularly welcome intern applications from candidates who have lived in countries in which Malala Fund is operating.
V. How to Apply
By 16 May 2021, please submit your resume and responses to the four writing prompts below through the application portal on our website.
In lieu of a cover letter or writing sample, please provide short answers to the following prompts:
Describe your professional goals. You may include how your background has impacted your professional goals if applicable. How will working at Malala Fund help you achieve your professional goals? (Max. 200 words)
What do you desire to learn in the field of international development and girls’ empowerment? and why? (Max. 200 words)
What do you believe differentiates you from other candidates? (Max. 200 words)
Where did you see the post advertised?
Please note that due to the high number of applications we receive when a position is posted, we are only able to respond directly to candidates with whom we wish to move forward in the interview process. Malala Fund is committed to safeguarding children and employment with our team is conditional upon successfully completing a background check.