Washington, DC | Full-time, permanent
Reporting to the Senior Staff Accountant, the Finance Associate will assist in processing and recording invoices, expense reports and bi-monthly payroll. S/he will serve as a main point of contact for key billing relationships and will support colleagues across multiple departments in budgeting, reporting and compliance matters. This is an exciting opportunity for enthusiastic, entry-level candidates interested in joining a new and growing nonprofit led by one of the world’s foremost advocates for girls’ education. The Associate will liaise across all departments and will gain a deep, behind-the-scenes understanding of nonprofit finance and compliance.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Prepare invoices for processing and payment.
- Help oversee submission and approval of expense reports.
- Assist in the creation and upkeep of project budgets, and the preparation of financial reports, dashboards and cash projections.
- Assist in reconciling corporate credit card activity against monthly statements, ensuring all transactions are approved and supported by receipts.
- Assist in reconciliation of various general ledger accounts.
- Help set up semi-monthly payroll for approximately 27 employees.
- Help monitor grants and pledges receivable to ensure payments are applied appropriately.
- Working with the fundraising team, review, reconcile and help to inform financial reports for Malala Fund donors.
- Assist with the annual audit and preparation of annual IRS filings.
- Assist with the annual 1099-MISC reporting process.
- Assists with the annual budgeting process and quarterly re-forecasting process.
- Maintain vendor and contractor files.
- Performs other financial tasks as requested by the Senior Staff Accountant.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Minimum 1-2 years of related experience and/or a degree in finance, accounting or a related field.
- A high degree of integrity, trustworthiness and flexibility.
- Extremely high attention to detail and very strong organizational skills.
- Good judgment and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with efficiency and poise.
- A high degree of professionalism, able to work well with colleagues, vendors, contractors and various stakeholders.
- Past experience with contracts, grant making, budget management, and/or financial reporting strongly preferred.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States